Saturday, May 30, 2009

Traveler Explores London, 5/29-5/31, 2009

Back in London for more book signings and Tony's art show, we had time to do some sight seeing...

We went out for a walk near the Hotel and came across this plaque in the "round about"...

This is the actual site of the Tyburn Tree, a tree that was used as a Gallows for public hangings! People used to line up to watch condemned prisoners be executed right here. Now thousands of people walk over this spot every day without a thought...

Off to the Museum of London, we explored the remains of the old Roman Wall that once surrounded what is now known as London. The Wall's construction was begun in the 2nd Century...

It would be hard to climb over this wall!

It's amazing that parts of it still stand throughout London...

It looks so peaceful now, but it was built to keep the Barbarians out. I wonder if I would have been thought of as a Barbarian?

The Girls brought me to Westminster Abbey, what an incredible place. I was not allowed to take photos inside but I did see the tombs of Queen Elizabeth, Bloody Mary, and Mary Queen of Scots among many, many others. It is a beautiful place, but kind of sad too...

On the drive back to the hotel, we stopped by Tony's old house in Chester Square! Tony lived in London in the 70's and loved it...

The next day, it was off to the British Museum. The Girls NEVER let me rest, we are always on the move. Her is the actual Rosetta Stone!

Here is a hoard of gold coins that we buried during the War of the Roses in the mid 15th century. A Lancaster Supporter buried these coins after a battle and never returned to retrieve them. I wonder what happened to him...

Here is the Sword of State of King Edward IV and his brother, King Richard III...

On our final day, we walked across Tower Bridge. First we had to walk up many stairs, the Girls almost died on the way up...

But the view was worth it! I can see all of London from up here!

Wow!


Later that afternoon, we walked to Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. Every Sunday people gather hear to listen to people speak. It's quite amazing and fun to listen to!

I loved this guy's hat...


Well, my trip is over. I am off to pack and get a good night sleep for the long flight home. Another successful trip and I learned a lot.


But, I am already dreaming of the adventures to come...








1 comment:

Beanie Mouse said...

Wow!! You been BUSY!!! I got taken to the British Museum too - i coulda just missed you!!!!
Glad you had such a fab time though!